Canon Introduces the new EOS R System
Today Canon launched their pioneering EOS R System, their first high-end Full Frame mirrorless camera system.
Canon has taken their 30+ years of imaging experience from the inception of their EOS ecosystem and created a system with even greater levels of performance, lens design possibilities and creative flexibility.
The EOS R has been engineered to deliver unrivalled optical excellence, lightning fast autofocus and quicker communication between camera and lens. Small with refined handling, the ergonomic design of the EOS R System encompasses fast performance, and superior, uncompromising, image quality.
The EOS R camera is built around a 30.3-megapixel full-frame sensor with an ISO range of 100-40,000. The new RF mount has a large mount diameter (54mm) with a short flange back (20mm) that allows for fast, sharp and compact lens designs. This brand-new mount has a 12-pin connection that enhances communication and power transmission between the lens and camera body. The future-proof mount suggests that Canon has some interesting new glass in the works.
Built from the ground up, the new EOS R System with Dual Pixel CMOS AF phase-detection system has a maximum of 5,655 AF points. In fact, this AF system is so advanced, it can achieve focus in as little as 0.05 seconds (when using the new RF 24-105mm f/4L IS lens), which is presently the fastest autofocus speed in the world, according to Canon.
The EOS R camera sports the latest DIGIC 8 image processor, a fully articulated touchscreen as well as an OLED 3.69-million-dot electronic viewfinder with an approximately 100% coverage and a magnification of 0.71x. A new feature to the right of the EVF is a touch bar that allows you to quickly access customisable settings — things like autofocus, ISO, and white balance. This means that you don’t have to break focus while shooting. The extensive customisation allows you to the focus on the subject rather than the camera.
Featuring innovative technology, the EOS R System allows you to shoot and film in extremely low light with accurate focusing. The camera also has an 8fps continuous shooting speed. it is also the world’s first camera with the ability to focus in light conditions as low as -6EV.
Not only does the system offer silent shooting, it also offers the highest standard of movie output from any Canon EOS System camera outside of their Cinema range, with 4K output in 10-bit over HDMI. The EOS R can shoot in 4K at 30fps and 1080p at 60fps with Canon Log (12 stops of dynamic range), and a maximum recording time of just over 29 minutes. The side of the camera has mic and headphone jacks.
In terms of lighting, the EOS R is compatible with Canon’s EX line of Speedlites and can do E-TTL II metering.
And Memory? The EOS R allows you to use your existing collection of SD cards and readers. The single memory card slot takes SD, SDHC, and SDXC cards.
Other features and specs of the EOS R include sensor self-cleaning, dust deletion data, face detection AF, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, a USB 3.1 terminal, and LP-E6N battery compatibility.
Canon also launched four new lenses for the EOS R System – the RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, RF 50mm f/1.2L USM, RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM and RF 35mm f/1.8 MACRO IS STM.
Canon is renowned for their optical quality. Their lenses are at the heart of their imaging systems. Building on this lens heritage, these high-performance lenses offer cutting-edge optics and advanced image processing for both stills and video.
All the lenses have a dedicated control ring as well as the dials for zooming and manual focus, this lets you adjust settings like aperture from the lens itself.
The RF 50mm f/1.2L USM is an extremely fast prime lens that produces detailed, sharp images with stunning shallow depth of field and remarkable low-light performance.
The RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM is a solid lens that will appeal to both photographers and videographers alike. This zoom lens features Nano USM, making it ideal for filmmakers who need smooth focusing – a must for natural looking focus transitions, superb control and smooth subject tracking. It is slim and easy to handle with fast, silent autofocus and 5-stops of image stabilisation make it perfect for movie making.
Canon’s macro lens offering comes in the form of their new RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro. This lens will also fair nicely as an inexpensive walking-around lens.
Canon's RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is an extremely fast zoom lens with a normal range that illustrates the power of the new mount. Canon claims that this lens is the world’s first large-aperture full frame compatible standard zoom, offering f/2 brightness throughout the zoom range. the impact resistant lens barrel has a shock absorbing mechanism.
That is why the EOS R is fully compatible with existing EF and EF-S lenses and accessories when using one of three newly-developed lens adapters. These include a standard Mount Adapter, a Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter (for circular polarizing filter or variable ND filters,) and Control Ring Mount Adapter to add additional functionality.
FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS FROM CANON:
EOS R SYSTEM - Common Key Features
- Greater levels of optical performance, lens design possibilities and creative flexibility
- Enhanced communication and power transmission between the lens and camera body
- Importantly full compatibility with existing EF and EF-S lenses and accessories
- Low light capabilities
EOS R - Key Features
- Through the combination of high-performance RF lenses, a 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor with approximately 30.3 million effective pixel and the latest DIGIC 8 image processor
- -6 EV low light AF – the world’s first camera to focus in such low light conditions
- The world’s fastest autofocus – 0.05 seconds
- Digital Lens Optimizer
- Touch and Drag AF – 5,755 AF points
- Silent shooting
- 4K video delivery with output in 10-bit over HDMI
RF 50mm f/1.2L USM – Key Features
- Standard lens which has super bright, highest image quality by using the benefit of EOS R system
- Fast and precise optical performance
- Legendary L-series image quality and durability
- Built for everyday professional use
RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM – Key Features
- A general purpose, practical, professional zoom
- Steady, handheld professional performance
- 5-stops of image stabilisation
- Fast, smooth, quiet Nano USM focusing bringing ideal attributes for photos and video
- Legendary L-series image quality for outstanding detail, depth and sharpness
RF 28-70mm f/2L USM – Key Features
- World’s first large-aperture full frame compatible standard zoom, offering f/2 brightness throughout the zoom range
- Redefines what you expect from a standard zoom lens
- Smooth, near-silent autofocusing, with Canon’s USM technology
- Smart controls and intuitive ergonomics for a natural shooting experience
- Legendary Canon L-Series pedigree inspires confidence
RF 35mm f/18 MACRO IS STM – Key Features
- Superb image quality and a natural wide-angle lens with compact size
- Great in low light, helping you capture ambience even in dark conditions
- Get close to capture fine details at half life-size macro magnifications with 5-stops of image stabilisation
- Travel light, shoot more instinctively and with more creativity
Canon Mount Adapters (Canon mount adapter EF-EOS R, Canon control mount ring adapter EF-EOS R and Canon drop-in filter mount adapter EF-EOS R)
- Use existing EF and EF-S mount lenses on Canon EOS R came
- Change camera settings with a Lens Control Ring (control mount ring adapter only)
- Use drop-in optical filters (drop-in filer mount adapter only) – either drop-in circular polarizing filter or drop-in variable ND filter
- Built for professional use
Battery Grip BG-E22 Key Features
- Shoot with EOS R for longer periods
- Superb handling when used in the vertical position
- Lightweight – 330g
- PC terminal for syncing external studio flash
Speedlite EL-100 Key Features
- Easy route into flash photography
- Create natural light by using bounce flash
- Learn to get more creative with lighting
- Part of the EOS family of camera and lenses
Digital Photo Professional (EPP) Express
- New RAW format - CR3 compatible
- Intuitive and easy to use UI/UX with touch operation
- Multiple editing histories in one image
- Display still images using PQ (Perceptual Quantization), an HDR format targeting movie production and distribution
- For iPad®
- Collaboration with Camera Connect application